South Lyon Area Recreation Authority is proud to offer a wide variety of opportunities to participate in sports. Whether you are at the youth level or the adult level, there are plenty of ways to get involved! Sports are a great way to teach kids the values such as sportsmanship and teamwork as well as provide a way to stay active and have fun! At the adult level, sports can be a great way to stay in shape or to socialize with both new and old friends.
Even if you’re playing days are behind you, we still want you to be involved with our sport programs! SLARA is always looking for volunteer coaches for our youth leagues. If coaching isn't right for you, why not give officiating a try? Officiating provides a great chance to stay involved in the sport you love and make some extra money at the same time! Whether its coaching or officiating that interests you, please feel free to contact our office for information on current and upcoming opportunities!
Youth Sports Philosophy
South Lyon Area Recreation Authority (SLARA) sponsored youth sports leagues are formed and operated on the principles of good sportsmanship, fair play, courtesy to others, healthy activity, tolerance and inclusiveness, and all other policies pertaining to community understanding and development. SLARA Youth Sports Leagues use a structured league environment to promote participation and player development first, and competition second while maintaining a proper balance between recreation and competition.
The Mission of SLARA Youth Sports Leagues is to provide organized athletic opportunities to young people of all backgrounds and skill levels. SLARA Youth Sports Leagues have been established to:
- Promote personal development over winning
- Show all athletes that they have potential, no matter what their skill level may be
- Foster a love of the game and sense of community
- Emphasize the value of sportsmanship, cooperation, and a mutual respect for one another
SLARA Believes that every child should have the opportunity to participate in and enjoy the benefits of youth sports participation. SLARA Youth Sports Leagues strive to maximize the following benefits of youth sports participation:
- Building of self esteem and self worth in all young athletes
- Opportunity to form lasting friendships and memories
- Keeping young athletes active and developing healthy habits
- Development of emotional intelligence
SLARA is Committed to ensuring every youth league participant has equal opportunity to experience and learn valuable life skills through youth sports. SLARA Youth Sports Leagues seek to teach young athletes:
- How to be a good teammate and contribute as a member of a team
- How to deal with adversities, successes, failures, and challenges through athletic competition
- The importance of preparation and self-discipline
- How to learn and move on from mistakes
All "Team" Adult Leagues that require a roster will appear "Course Full" when trying to register online. Please look under the correct sport below for a link to their "Roster Forms" and return the completed rosters to the SLARA office located at 23333 Griswold, Ste. 100 in South Lyon. If you have any questions, comments, or concerns please feel free to contact our office at 248.437.8105!
Thank you for your continued support and participation!
FRIEND REQUEST POLICY
Friend requests are NOT GUARANTEED.
- Absolutely no player may request to be paired with a coach.
- Requests received after the advertised friend request deadline CANNOT be accepted.
- Each player may request to be paired with ONE other player. The player being requested must also request to be paired with the same player for the request to be considered.
- Siblings will be paired together unless specifically requested otherwise.
- Volunteer coaches listed on the roster will be paired with their own children. Each roster is permitted to list one official head coach and one official assistant coach.
- Our focus is to create fun and balanced teams. If a request is deemed to create either an unfair skill advantage or disadvantage, SLARA reserves the right to deny or cancel any roster request.