As a volunteer coach, are a very important part of youth sports here in South Lyon and we thank you for your continued support!
SLARA wants to help you be the best coach you can possibly be! If you are seeking additional resources for your specific sport, please check the "Coach Corner" section of that sport's page. There you will find resources to help you through the season. Whether you are a first-time coach or a seasoned veteran, the Coach Corner has something for everyone! Resources range from SLARA coaching curriculums to links from around the web. Be sure to check it out!
SLARA League Philosophy
SLARA sponsored leagues and activities are formed and operated on the principles of good sportsmanship, fair play, courtesy to others, healthy activity, tolerance and inclusiveness, and all other policies pertaining to community understanding and development. SLARA reserves the right to make decisions which it feels are in the best interest of the league and community.
What to Expect?
SLARA leagues aim to serve a variety of purposes for the youth in our community. Some leagues may serve as introductions to the world of sport while others offer opportunities to continue organized play in a recreation-first setting. For many of the players in these league, this will serve as their first experiences organized sports. It will be a learning process for all of them. Some will pick up the game and skills quicker than others. Be patient and keep the focus on fun! Players should play equal amounts of every game, receive equal instruction, and be provided with an environment suitable for skill development and recreation.
Role of the Youth Coach
SLARA thanks you for your decision to serve as a coach! SLARA coaches are vital to the implementation of all youth leagues. As a coach, your role is to serve as a communicator to parents and players alike, facilitate a learning environment, and provide supervision. It is not uncommon for youth players to view a coach as a role model, use this opportunity to teach fair play, sportsmanship, and a love for the game. Keep practices fun, yet instructional. Use gameplay as teaching moments for young players. Coaching youth sports can be a very rewarding experience, remember to have fun with this!
Volunteer Head Coach Discount
Thank you for volunteering to be a head coach! Our volunteers are very important to the youth leagues offered by SLARA. Without your help, we would not be able to offer these wonderful opportunities to the community. To help show our thanks, SLARA offers all those who volunteer and are selected to be a head coach a $25 partial refund on your child’s registration fee.
Here’s how it works!
- At the time of registration, you will be prompted to sign up as a volunteer coach. At this prompt, or when asked by the office staff if registering in person, select yes and get your name added to the list of volunteer head coaches. Please note that only head coaches are eligible for the discount.
- The amount of head coaches selected is dependent on the number of registrations received. It is possible to sign up to head coach and not be chosen. Coaches are chosen on a first come, first serve basis.
- Once selected as a head coach, you must have your coaching paperwork completed and submitted to the office by the coach’s meeting. If you fail to submit completed paperwork, you will not be eligible for the discounted rate.
- You must attend the scheduled pre-season coach’s meeting, or make other arrangements to receive the information from the Sport Manager.
- During the season, you must not miss more than two scheduled events.
- Return your signed-out coach’s bag at the end of the season.
- If the above requirements have been met, you will receive a $25 partial refund for your child’s registration at the conclusion of the season.